Hello everyone! I hope that you enjoyed Veteran’s Day and took some time to reflect on those who served and are currently serving. I know I have 😉 Today has been incredibly productive- I wish I could have every Thursday off! The day started with a vet appointment for Mr. B- he had his annual checkup. The poor little guy is such a champ. I held him when he got a shot and he didn’t even whimper! I had to stop and get him special treats afterwards, of course!
After the vet I headed out to get a
4 3.3 mile run in. It was a gorgeous day out today! The weather has been a little schizo, seeing as how it was snowing buckets on Monday and I had to go back inside today to change out of my cold gear and into a long sleeved tech tee and shorts without gloves! Although, taking off the gloves was a bad idea since I had to cut the run short- my hands were FREEZING and I was back at my house 😉 It was a great day to run though- it is cheesy but the cold air really made me feel alive!
After the run I got to making one of the most delicious recipes I think I’ve ever made, courtesy of my friend Nicole. I’m kind of obsessed. Then I accompanied my dad to Fleet Feet to get him fitted for a pair of running shoes. I am running his first 5k with him in two weeks, yippee! I should have known better than to think I would come out of Fleet Feet empty-handed. Nope, I walked out with this:
A Brooks running jacket! She is gorgeous. I justified it because I had a $25 gift card from the store (love the loyalty points) and it fit like a glove .
Look, it even has a special spot inside for your ipod!
Okay, I’ll be honest. What really sold me was the thumbhole!
Yes, I’m obsessed! I can’t wait to run in it!!
After coming home from the store I hurried over to a glorious hot yoga class. Today’s class was much better than yesterday’s if only for the fact that the creepy guy wearing only tiny shorts that gyrates his hips in circles while staring at himself in the mirror to “warm up” before class (seriously. I wish I was joking) wasn’t present. It was awkward last night, to say the least! Did you have today off? If so, what’d ya do? 😀
Okay, so on to one of the best recipes ever. It is a little intensive but I promise you it is worth it, especially if you like risotto and cheese. I had it for dinner tonight and it is one of the best risotto dishes I’ve ever had, if I do say so myself 😉
- 7-8 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 pound fresh mozzarella
- 3 heirloom tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the stock to a gentle simmer and maintain over low heat
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sautee until soft, approximately two minutes. Add the arborio rice and stir until each grain is well-coated, approximately three minutes. Add the wine and stir until completely absorbed.
- Add the simmering stock to the rice a ladleful at a time, stirring constantly. Once the liquid is completely absorbed (but never completely dry on top), add the next ladleful and stir, repeating until only 1/4 cup of stock is left. Reserve the stock.
- Cut the fresh mozzarella into 1/2 inch pieces. When the rice is tender to the bite but slightly firm in the center and creamy looking, remove from heat and stir in reserved stock, the mozzarella, tomatoes and basil. Season with salt and pepper and enjoy.
This is so cheesy and delicious. This recipe is definitely a keeper (even if your arm is sore from all of that stirring) ;). Do you like risotto? Have you ever made it?
Have a great evening friends- it’s almost the weekend! 😀