Hi friends! I have to say I’m dragging today. I stayed up WAY too late last night reading a Nicholas Sparks novel. They are so predictable but still manage to suck me in every time! Today is definitely an extra coffee kind of day 😉
After we parted ways I headed home to be productive take the pup and my nephew for a long walk. Then it was time for the BCE, or BEST CLASS EVA! Seriously. Yesterday was my first experience with silent bikram yoga and it was AWESOME! In a standard Bikram class the lights are on and the instructor talks the entire time, guiding you through the poses and the like. Sometimes they remind me of an announcer at the horse races. Anyway. To take silent Bikram, you must have taken at least ten classes (which I have). It coincided with my schedule so I figured I should check it out. Amazing! There were only ten people, the lights were dimmed and the instructor played awesome music. We still did the traditional 26 postures times two, but instead of talking us through the entire thing the instructor just told us when to change positions.
My stepmom took the class with me (she is a yoga rock star) and I remember looking over to her at various points during the class exclaiming (silently, haha) how awesome the class was. It might sounds cheesy but the music really enhanced the poses. It wasn’t traditional yoga music either- Black Eyed Peas, P!nk, IZ, Jay-Z and other random songs. So relaxing. That was a great way to end the weekend and start the week off on the right foot 😀
Since today is Meatless Monday, last night I made a dish to eat for lunch and dinner. It was actually super easy to make and quite tasty! The nutritional stats are pretty decent too: 477 calories, 21 g fat (5g saturated), 26 g protein, 13.1 g fiber and 56 g carbs. Here’s the dish:
Whole Wheat Pasta with Edamame, Arugula and Herbs
- 8 oz uncooked whole wheat penne (I used the whole box [14 oz] of multi grain pasta)
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T butter
- 2 cups frozen shelled edamame (I used 3 cups)
- 2 cups arugula (they didn’t have arugula at the grocery store so I used an herb mix)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (I omitted)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 T chopped basil (omitted)
- 1 T chopped fresh thyme (I used dried thyme)
- 1/2 t salt
- 2 ounces fresh parmigano-romano cheese, shaved
- 1 garlic clove, minced (I added this, original recipe doesn’t call for it)
- Cook pasta and drain, set aside
- Heat oil and butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add edamame and garlic to pan, cook through until edamame are thoroughly heated and butter is melted, stirring occasionally. Combine with pasta.
- Add lemon juice, tomatoes, herb mix or arugula, fresh herbs and salt. Mix everything together
- Cover Sprinkle with cheese and enjoy!
I have to say, I had it for lunch today and it is pretty dang good.
I like the fact that there is a lot of color in the dish- I feel like I’m doing my part in eating a rainbow of veggies 🙂 Have you tried edamame? I love it! It is packed with protein and makes a fantastic snack or addition to a meal (I love to add it into mac ‘n cheese 🙂 )
Do you have any meatless recipes to share? I’m always on the lookout! How was the weekend?
See ya lata!